Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:55:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   X11 fonts stuff

I just completed my last final, I'm back to coding (YA!!!)

I was looking at scitext first.  Finally figured out what the install of
the new code wanted by looking at the sources, now I just have to deal
with the fonts questions.

scitext currently dies when the X server can't load the fonts.  The fonts
I can find with scitext are comprised of two sets of files, ending with
.afm and .pfa.  The files seem to be Adobe Postscript files, with the .afm
files being the font metrics, and the .pfa files being the font bit
encodings.  Does anyone know how to deal with these two file types so that
an X11 server can use them?  I'm not talking about the xset stuff, or
mkfontdir, this Adobe format doesn't seem to be directly recognizable by
the X server, and I don't know how to convert the files to a format the
X11 _does_ know.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |