Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@tabby.kudra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to best use kld's

Well, I use modules for a lot of things on FreeBSD-CURRENT (even though
this is recommended against, I don't like having a HUGE kernel with
everything in it, when I only use some of the stuff like once a month). I
have not yet seen any issues with crashes or anything of that nature as a
result of using modules (even with the sound drivers loaded as modules I
see no problems). I would reccomend just fooling around with the modules
and seeing if there are any problems. If there aren't any problems... use
them as you need to..... filesystem modules are auto-loaded. The best way
to automatically load other modules  (Aside from the ones loaded in
rc.conf) is to load them by adding lines like the example below to
/boot/loader.conf. I would suggest looking at all the modules and deciding
which you don't use that often, and then use modules for that hardware if
it is supported.

bktr_load="YES"

but substitute the name of the module for "bktr"

| Kenneth Culver              | FreeBSD: The best NT upgrade    |
| Unix Systems Administrator  | ICQ #: 24767726                 |
| and student at The          | AIM: muythaibxr                 |
| The University of Maryland, | Website: (Under Construction)   |
| College Park.	              | http://www.wam.umd.edu/~culverk/|