Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:19:02 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phone rates

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 11:15 AM 12/21/98 +0000, tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> >Capitalism may reign supreme over on your side of the water, but
> >British Telecom is unfortunately rather too good at sucking in the
> >profits over here...
>
> I understand that there are two others: Mercury and another. Are
> they undercutting BT or just going along for the ride?

Part of the problem is that BT still own all the major inter-city
trunks, so even if you use Mercury making a call from, say, London to
Manchester still has to use BT lines, which Mercury has to pay for. So
BT still holds the upper hand.

> I do recall that some pay phones in the UK also rejected the 0800
> number for my MCI international calling card. Why? The phone was
> owned by a company that had an exclusive deal with AT&T. They
> blocked calls to anyone else's 800 number.

Don't know. I didn't think that sort of thing was allowed.

> --Brett

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com