Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:03:08 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP questions

Hi,

I've been using IIJPPP to connect to an ISP (Netcom) on an on-demand basis.
Now, I'm setting up a full-time link through another (cheaper) provider
(SCruz-Net).  However, I'm keeping my original account, and would like
to connect to it occasionally (primarily for the Clarinet newsgroups,
which SCruz-Net doesn't carry.)  Since Netcom only allows NNTP access
to their PPP and SLIP based accounts, I'd like to continue to make my
on-demand connections; but via telnet.  This raises a couple of questions.

1.  Will Netcom allow me to telnet into my PNC accound.  (Consider this
    question rhetorical - I'll find out if I can get the others answered.)

2.  Is there any documentation on the tun device?

3.  Is there any documentation on setting up PPP-over-telnet or
    PPP-over-TCP, except for the four lines at the bottom of the
    ppp.conf.sample file?

4.  (For the real wizards...)  Is there any way I could just make the
    NNTP connection using my Netcom PPP address, but routing through
    my new connection?  (This would enable me to avoid the PPP-over-telnet
    issue entirely...)  Note that the Netcom PPP address is on a Netcom
    class C network...

Thanks,
-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
1098 Lynn, Sunnyvale, CA 94087	||  408.720.9039  ||  lashley@netcom.com