Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:45:40 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

At 8:39 PM -0400 2000/9/4, Vivek Khera wrote:

>  The AirPort base station contians within it a "silver" wavelan PCMCIA
>  card.  The regular wavelan cards you buy work well with it.

	I'm using this solution myself.  In fact, I replaced the WaveLAN
card in the AirPort with a WaveLAN Gold (so that I can do 128-bit
encryption), and kept the WaveLAN Silver as backup.

>  I happen to have a Mac around to configure it, but I understand that
>  the Karlbridge software for Windoze will configure it as well (except
>  for some features such as the modem dialout).

	I downloaded the Karlbridge software and installed it on my
wife's PC laptop, and tried to use it to configure the AirPort.  I
could not get this to work properly, so for the moment we're actually
running without encryption (the Karlbridge software is supposedly
able to allow you to change how the password is stored, because Apple
uses a hash of the password on the AirPort and in the Mac client, but
everyone else in the world uses the raw password itself).

	I do have some problems with the AirPort getting wonky and the
Mac software at the same time.  Usually rebooting the AirPort does
the trick, but sometimes I have to reboot them both.  I'm hoping that
when I switch to using the AirPort as a wireless bridge to my
Ethernet/ISDN router, I won't have these kinds of problems any more.

	Other than that, everything else works like a charm.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium