Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:37:17 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new sup server

Jordan wrote:

> > I suspect that Jordan will be trimming off sup's from non-official-mirror
> > sites real soon now to reduce the load on freefall and the T1.
>
> You suspect correctly.

PLEASE don't do that yet!  I am telling you again: the sup mirrors still
do NOT work right.

In several attempts spread over the past few months, I have never
yet succeeded in getting any of the sup mirrors to give me an intact
cvs tree.  Invariably, they delete some of my perfectly good files,
without replacing them later on.  As an example, sup5 is currently
(and repeatably) doing this to me:

    SUP 9.26 (4.3 BSD) for file supfile.sup5 at Mar 20 04:15:01
    SUP Upgrade of src-base-cvs at Wed Mar 20 04:15:01 1996
    SUP Fileserver 9.13 (4.3 BSD) 21149 on burka.rdy.com at 04:15:01
    SUP Fileserver supports compression.
    SUP Requesting changes since Mar 16 17:06:47 1996
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/usr.sbin
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/usr.bin
    SUP Deleted directory src/tools
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/sys
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/share
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/secure
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/sbin
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/release
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/lkm
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/libexec
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/lib
    SUP Deleted directory src/kerberosIV
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/include
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/gnu
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/games
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/etc
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/eBones
    SUP: Unable to delete directory src/bin
    SUP Deleted directory src/TODO-2.1
    SUP Deleted file src/Makefile,v
    SUP Deleted file src/COPYRIGHT,v
    SUP Deleted directory src/Attic

It can't be blamed on an out-of-date sup client, either.  I'm using the
client from -stable, which is identical to the one in -current.

I'm currently working with Dima to try and figure out what is going on.
I've instrumented my sup client with a bunch of printfs, and I'm trying
to analyze the copious output they've given me.  (Help from somebody who
already knows the sup internals would be most welcome!)

Until this is finally fixed, I'm in trouble if you cut me off from
sup.freebsd.org.