Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:12:48 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu> wrote:

> Another thing the scheme doesn't catch is symlinks that are, out
> of necessity, made in the target directory after the real files
> have been installed.

...or manpages that are compressed after they are 'install'ed (I forget what
order the ports 'install' targets do that, but it COULD happen manually by
the sysadm). It'd be nice to have a PLIST file entry that could somehow say
that any of some variants on a filename could "match" the entry (as I mentioned
earlier in this thread). Someone has suggested a cpp type syntax for the PLIST
file, but I would think that something like the makefile syntax could be
useful. I'm not sure how to do this with bmake, but with GNU make, I could
specify a file like this:

	$(wildcard man/man1/foobar.1*)

or

	ifneq ($(wildcard man/man1/foobar.1),)
	man/man1/foobar.1
	endif

("wildcard" is a function to expand a filename glob pattern and return the list
of filenames corresponding to files that actually exist). Which actually
doesn't have quite the right semantics...what you probably want is to say that
at least one of the variants HAS to be there, so...

	ifeq ($(wildcard man/man1/foobar.1*),)
	# No such files...put in a dummy file to flag an error on...
	man/man1/foobar.1
	else
	$(wildcard man/man1/foobar.1*)
	endif

[Note that I'm not recommending (specifically) the use of the GNU make syntax -
 just that I know the syntax and can get something close to this functionality
 with it. I don't want to start a "religion of make" war or anything :-)).
 Hey! It could even be done as a tcl-based extension language of some sort.]

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org