Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:12:46 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gavin Spomer <spomerg@cwu.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does /dev/pf get created?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:59:19AM -0800, Gavin Spomer wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
> Have you rebuilt world or is it a clean install? Update the src to
> RELENG_6_2 patch 9 via cvs?  If I remember correctly, a clean install
> of 6.2-RELEASE from the cD should have the require pf device.  You can
> start using it by enabling in the rc.conf.  (ALTQ will not be available
> until you specify device+options and rebuild the kernel.)  This will
> get you going using the rules w/o queueing.
>
>    I have never rebuilt world. I am still learning FreeBSD, even though I have a semi-strong linux background. ;) Yes, I installed
>    from downloaded cd's. "Update the src to RELENG_6_2 patch 9 via cvs?" ?  Don't understand. :o

The FreeBSD Handbook has instructions on how to update your system.  You
should really be using the RELENG_6 cvs tag and not RELENG_6_2.

The proper procedure for building/installing world and kernel is
documented in /usr/src/Makefile:

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

For updating the FreeBSD source code (for kernel and base utilities),
you'll need to use csup.  To make it simple, use the following arguments
in /etc/make.conf:

SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUP=/usr/bin/csup
SUPFLAGS=-g -L 2 -4
SUPHOST=cvsup4.freebsd.org
SUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

Change SUPHOST to a cvsupXXX.freebsd.org server which you can reach from
your machine that has low latency (try pinging them).  I happen to use
cvsup4, but they go all the way up to cvsup18.

After that, all you need to do to update changes to the ports tree as
well as your source tree (for world/kernel) is:

umask 022
cd /usr/src
make update

And that's it.  :-)