Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>, Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

Steven Hartland wrote:
> [...]
I worked for the CS dept. at a university for 30years. What I observed
was that students were usually enthusiastic about trying a new os. However,
these days, they have almost no idea how to work in a command line environment.

If they installed FreeBSD, it would be zapped off their disk within minutes
of the install completing and they'd forget about it.

They install and like distros like Ubuntu, which install and work the way
they expect (yes, they expect a GUI desktop, etc).

When they get out in industry, they remember Linux, but won't remember
FreeBSD (at least not in a good way).

Now, I am not suggesting that FreeBSD try and generate Ubuntu-like desktop
distros. However, it might be nice if the top level web page let people
know that the installs there are not desktop systems and point them to
PC-BSD (or whatever other desktop distro there might be?) for a desktop install.
(I know, the original poster wasn't a PC-BSD fan, but others seem happy
 with it. I'll admit I've never tried it, but then, I'm not a GUI desktop guy.:-)

Just my $0.00 worth, rick