Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2014 17:21:39 -0800
From:      Cary <cary@sdf.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remove shutdown messages in console

Warner Losh wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:26 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> On 2/2/14, 6:07 PM, Reza Mirzazadeh wrote:
>>> hi . how can i remove shutdown messages in console ? or even print my
>>> arbitrary messages in console ?
>>>

>>> *** FINAL System shutdown message from root@geekiam ***
>>> System going down IMMEDIATELY
>>>
>>> some messages like these ! i don't want it print theses messages
>>> --
>>>
>> we implimented the consmute sysctl option to "mute" an otherwise configured console for exactly this purpose.
>> (and boot messages).
>
> Except these are different beast. They aren't kernel messages, but generated by userland...
>
> to get rid of these, hack /etc/syslog.conf to get rid of the *.emerg * line.
> Or hack shutdown to stop sending them....
> Or use 'halt' and 'reboot' only
>
> Warner

It was easy to substitute an arbitrary message.

I used the following command:

# sed 's/System going down IMMEDIATELY/Farewell, Doctor F, until our paths meet yet
once more/' /usr/src/sbin/shutdown/shutdown.c >new.shutdown.c

then ran "clang -o shutdown new.shutdown.c" .   If the file "shutdown" were copied to
/sbin would that work as expected?

Cary

--
cary@sdf.org