Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:52:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Martin Gignac <mgignac@cinar.com>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: how to find/install BIND 8.2.2p5 binary on 3.2-R ?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Len Conrad wrote:

> all I've got in rc.conf is
>
> named_enable="YES"   so how do I change that to point at the itinerant
> 8.2.2.p5 named? I've got to write my own script to start 8.2.2.p5 after a
> pkg_add?

Your /etc/rc.conf should have:

named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"

A look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf will show you those options.

> btw, I ftp'd ports/packages/bind-8.2.2.p5.tgz as you said, "pkg_add -v" at
> it and it seemd to run to completion with no errors.  but querying that
> machine for version.bind. still returned 8.1.2.  I rebooted the machine,
> still 8.1.2.

You _installed_ 8.2.2p5 with pkg_add, but you were still _running_ version
8.1.2 when you issed the version command. And when you rebooted, you still
had your /etc/rc.conf pointing to the originall 8.1.2 named.

You have to understand that the 8.2.2 package DOESN'T overwrite your other
'named'. They just coexist on the same system, and it's up to you to
decide which one you want to startup with. By default its the
/usr/sbin/named one, but if you change your rc.conf to poin to
/usr/local/sbin/named, you'll get the one installed from the package
(8.2.2). If you cvsup'ed your system to the latest stable, THEN the
standard 'named' (/usr/sbin/named) would be upgraded to 8.2.2. The package
is just an quick way to upgrade without having to get a whole new version
of the OS.

> If I can find where 8.2.2.p5 named is (I killed named and ran the named from
> /usr/local/sbin and that is still announces itself as 8.1.2.), do I and why
> should I have to diddle a startup script after installing a binary pkg?  I
> thought the pkg's were supposed to "1 minute" installs, according to Lehey
> book.

Make sure you specifiy the whole path. Issue the command
'/usr/local/sbin/named'. Don't just cd to '/usr/sbin' and then type
'named'; you would just end up executing the original 'named' because
'/usr/sbin' is in your PATH. You have to diddle with the startup script
because, like I said earlier, you end up with TWO instances of named in
two different locations when you install the package. Since you want to
use the package version and it's not in the 'standard' location, you have
to specifiy that in rc.conf. I know it's not intuitive (I didn't get it at
first either), but now I find it makes sense to do it that way (if for
exmaple, 8.2.2 turned out to be unstable, you could just go back to 8.1.2
'cause you wouldn't have wiped it by intsalling the package).

> This is way too confused, but I can't see where I screwed up and nothing
> seems to unscrew me.
>
> So how/where would I rm all named stuff from the machine and start fresh
> with yr

> "pkg_add -v bind-8.2.2.p5.tgz"

Like I said, you don't have to rm anything. Named is just somehewre else.