Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:15:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      freebsd <freebsd@computer.net>
To:        Eric Patterson <ericp@ro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: U2W?

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Eric Patterson wrote:
> Um, me too.  I have been trying to install freebsd
> on a new machine with an ASUS P2B-S for a couple of days.  The best docs I
> have found are at http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/cam-boot.  I have had some
> limited success by following those instructions.  If I get it working, I
> promise to write a brief howto an send it here or whereever is
> appropriate.

We got it working on 2 out of 3 machines.  For some reason lowleveling
these drives helped.  We had two 9 gig and two 4 gig WD Ultra fast drives.
Also got it working on a Segate 4 gig narrow but, that was for
testing/troubleshooting.  One of the WD 4 gig has some bad sectors so back
it went.

Anyway I low leveled all drives.  Set the terminators and id to 0 for each
drive (only one per machine).

Got the floppy image from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP/floppies/

booted from the floppy as normal.

skipped kernel config (for now anyway) and did the rest of the freebsd
install as normal.

I did on 2 of the 3 machines change the release name to cam/2.2-cam
(whatever it was just inserted cam/ to the beggining of it.

Reason I did this was so it could find the install dir on 3rd USA site
(the primary is so SLOW for me).

Otherwise it was a fairly standard install.

Try the lowlevel and getting it from the 3rd USA site.

Would be interested in your results.