Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        murray@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@ice.nodomain
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (more bad news)

A few hours ago I downloaded .../i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.9-RC1-i386-disc1.iso
and made kern/mfsroot floppies from it.  If I enable my ICH5R SATA
controller in "native" mode, the 4.9-RC1 GENERIC kernel hangs solidly
(only the system reset button can unwedge it) during device configuration.
The last line of bootstrap monologue written by the kernel is:

	plip0" <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

If I do a "boot -v", the kernel continues with:

	bpf: lp0 attached
	ed0: not probed (disabled)
	fe0: not probed (disabled)
	ie0: not probed (disabled)
	lnc0: not probed (disabled)
	cs0: not probed (disabled)
	sn0: not probed (disabled)
	isa-probe-children: probing PnP devices

before it hangs.  If I boot with the ICH5R SATA enabled in legacy mode,
the kernel does not hang.  It continues from this point with the output:

	BIOS Geometries:
	 0: 03fffe4f 0..1023=1024 cylinders, 0..254=255 heads, 1..63=63 sectors
	 1: ...

and so forth.  The system finishes booting and /stand/sysinstall starts.

I would guess that the bug is in the ata controller/disk driver.

The 4.9-20030914-PRERELEASE GENERIC kernel also hangs if the ICH5R SATA
controller is enabled in native mode, though not at the same point.
It wedges when the controller is first probed.

Dan Strick
strick@covad.net