Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:59:32 +1100
From:      "David Rawling" <djr@pdconsec.net>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   RE: how to do a custom install?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Kline
Sent: Sun 15/11/2009 8:03 PM
=20

	due to strange disk problems i was down for around 30 hours.  i am
	currently wiping dos/win off in favor of 7.2-R and i have a question
	about doing a "custom" install that would let me slice the drive into
	more that four pieces.

	i am building, by default,=20

	/,
	/var
	SWAP,  and=20
	/usr

	it has been years since my custom install where [[*some*]] technique
	let me slice something like, say,

	/,
	/var,
	/tmp,
	/usr/local/
	SWAP,  and
	/usr

	anybody remember what keys to hit in the installation procedure?

	tia,

	gary

I can't say that I remember the keystrokes, but you can have multiple =
disk slices (aka Windows/DOS partitions) and within each slice, multiple =
BSD partitions (IIRC up to 8).

I have mine partitioned into (generally)

/ - 1GB
swap - 2x - 4x RAM
/tmp - 4GB
/var - 20GB
/usr - 40%
/backup - remainder

I use the whole disk for BSD (single slice) and create the partitions as =
whatever size suits.

Dave.
--
David Rawling