Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:21:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        "Nicolai Petri (ML)" <nppmf@swamp.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard.conf.sample ? Is that a great name ???

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Nicolai Petri (ML) wrote:

> Am I the only one who thinks that having a .sample file containing active
> settings is a not so great ting ?
>
> Why not simply rename it to pccard.conf, pccard.conf.default or
> default/pccard.conf

  I assumed that the .sample was to emphasize the need to customize it as
needed and save it as pccard.conf (where pccardd expects to find it).
While not intuitive for new users, it is necissary so that upgrades can
modify the pccard.conf.sample file without disturbing and localizations in
pccard.conf. See manpath.config.sample for another example of this logic.
  It doesn't strike me as a candidate for /etc/defaults/ unless it is made
to include /etc/pccard.conf if it exists and override and config entries
that are duplicated (i.e. if it were truly just defaults that could be
overridden).
  In other words, it may not be intuitive, but it fits the existing
protocol.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA