Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:57:31 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <stevefranks@ieee.org>, "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: brand-new DVD drives less reliable than crappy old player - fix?

The newer drives turn the disk faster, so of course there is less time
the laser light is shining on the spot where the data is, and if a
scratch has damaged that spot then optically the bit is not fully 1
way or fully the other, so the voltage out from the laser's eye is
going to be closer to the "undefined" range.  What is coming out
of the laser's eye is effectively a "dirty" square wave.  I think
the developers of the faster drives decided to reduce the sampling
window that they look for a logic high or a logic low, so they can
sample the bit closer to the center of the high or low, and also
since the sample time is lower, they make the circuit less tolerant
of bits that are a little less "high" or a little less "low" coming
out of the laser's eye.

Ted