Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:58:02 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        Patrick Burnett <pb1170@charter.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lucent Orinoco PCMCIA controllers

I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, but I have some insight
into orinoco cards and pccardc etc.

first up do

dmesg | grep pccard

to see if the pccard on your machine is present as a device.

when you insert the pccard in the slot, does anything happen?

I used to get
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccardd[59]: No card in database for "null" ("(null)")

if you get a message like this it means you have a working pccard, it just
doesn't know what to do with it.

if not, either reinstall or rebuild the kernel with pccard support turned on
(and see the freebsd handbook, e.g. freebsd.org or
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/ for how to do that)

next you might want to mess with the pccardc memory settings...

e.g.

pccardc pccardmem 0xdN000

where N can be 0, 4, 8 or c...

now insert the card and see what happens

(alt to inserting the card is
pccardc power 0 0
pccardc power 0 1
to power cycle the card)

good luck.

ofcourse, this might not describe your problem.

attempt to find out the make and model of the PC interface you have and do a
google search for it, or look for it in the hardware notes on freebsd.org

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:47 am, Patrick Burnett wrote:
> First of all I know this technically isn't a question for the Mobile
> forum, since it pertains to my little mini-tower.  However, it does have
> something to do with getting my Orinoco Gold PC Card operational and
> this forum is as good as any to try.
>
> Here's the scenario:
> When I attempted to install FreeBSD 4.9R on my old ThinkPad laptop, the
> install program loaded a generic PC controller and then my wireless NIC
> was good to go.  There was a video limitation so I scrapped loading the
> full OS with X on the ThinkPad.  That being said, I also had the Gold PC
> Card running in my mini-tower at one time (under WinNT) via a PC
> controller card that I had to get from the manufacturer.  I guess this
> controller card is proprietary or something.  When I booted from the
> 4.9R install floppies the system never prompted me to use PCMCIA as the
> install medium as it did with the laptop.  No PCMCIA controller = no
> Gold card...
>
> Do any of you know how/where I can get docs/info to get this PC
> controller up so I can get the Gold card running?
>
> Thanks in advance for the assist,
> Pat B.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824