Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:26:44 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        steveo@iol.ie
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Compaq 1690

Hi,
> >>         Suspend and resume slows the system down hugely (apmconf -t doesn't help),
> >>         doing it twice makes things worse, I haven't tried more. What should I
> >>         try in order to get a handle on this.
> >>
> >>         All this with 3.3-STABLE about two weeks old.
> >
> > i8254 on your laptop seemds having problem after resuming.
> ># my SHARP laptop too.
> > Please try the attached patch.
>
>         That did the trick nicely, is this patch or near equivalent heading into
> -stable any time soon ?

OK, I'll commit them this coming weekend if nobody have objections.
Linux people also are doing also reloading the countdown register of
i8254 after suspend in the same way.  It couldn't hurt, I think.

#ifdef INIT_TIMER_AFTER_SUSPEND
	save_flags(flags);
	cli();
	/* set the clock to 100 Hz */
	outb_p(0x34,0x43);		/* binary, mode 2, LSB/MSB, ch 0 */
	udelay(10);
	outb_p(LATCH & 0xff , 0x40);	/* LSB */
	udelay(10);
	outb(LATCH >> 8 , 0x40);	/* MSB */