Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:49:25 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Scott Hansen <shansen@astound.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perplexing networking problems accessing select machines on local network

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:18:25PM -0500, Scott Hansen wrote:
> Crist -
>
> Yes, there are definitely live pingable addresses there.  In actuality, the
> IP addresses that I can't reach are all on the same machine - multiple IP's
> bound to the same NIC - it is a Sun E250 server.  I am able to ARP for the
> MAC address and it returns correctly.

Interesting. I just fix a messed up alias job on a Solaris machine
earlier in the week. Turn on tcpdump on the outer interface and watch
the pings,

  # tcpdump -i <oif> icmp

If you see the pings going out to the correct IP and nothing or
screwed up packets are coming back, it's a problem on the Sun. If you
see the correct pings coming back, something's wrong with the FreeBSD
machine. Send the output you get from the above if you cannot figure
it out.