Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:24:28 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Rob Hudson <rob@euglug.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2 to 4.3 upgrade

On Thursday 02 August 2001 03:10 pm, Rob Hudson wrote:
> I recently did a 4.2 to 4.3 upgrade by booting from the 4.3 floppies
> and using /stand/sysinstall.
>
> After it finished and it rebooted, it had wiped out my /var directory.
> Is this normal procedure?
>
> If it's not normal, then I probably did something wrong along the way.
> This is where I keep my mysql database files.  Luckily I had a backup.
>
> :)
>
> Also, I chose _not_ to upgrade ports at the same time to minimize
> downtime.  What would be the best way to get the new ports now that
> I'm up and stable?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Install cvsupit from the ports. My cvsupfile is called cvsupfile-ports and is
configured like this:

*default  host=cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default  compress
ports-all tag=.

Call it with:

cvsup -P - -L 2 -g /etc/cvsupfile-ports

I use it every day to update the ports. As for the var directory I can't help
you. I've never used /stand/sysinstall to update.

Beech

     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510