Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:04:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@scientech.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
Subject:   Re: libalias: Incremental Update of Internet Checksum

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> > The DifferentialChecksum() function in libalias(3) is used
> > to efficiently recompute the checksum for altered packets.
> > Unfortunately, the implementation suffers from the problem
> > described in RFC 1624.  I have implemented the replacement
> > for it, using the final formula [4] from the RFC.
> >
> > The attached C program demonstrates the problem as well as
> > the new implementation.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Wow.. seems like a pretty important thing to fix.
> We should try to get this into 4.2 if possible.

I haven't studied the arithmetic yet, but the problem
cannot be too serious, or a lot of things would break.
My guess is that this has to be an "edge effect".
Since Ruslan's example program showed a delta of 1
for so many cases, I'm not sure what it means yet.

I would agree that if there is a problem, it should
be fixed.