Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 03:43:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ExBSD

Stuart Krivis wrote:
> > My opinion/experience is that Windows is much easier to
> > use than UNIX for most desktop tasks, and things like
> > the "Internet Connection Sharing Wizard" make setting
> > up DHCP servers much easier than editing routing tables
> > and config files in /etc.  I don't think Windows offers
> > as much
>
> Most of Windows networking is badly broken.
>
> Ease of use? Windows isn't easy to use. What you are
> seeing is the large number of people who already have
> some small amount of experience with some flavor of
> Windows, so they have a head start.

FWIW, and not to defend it unduly, but he has a point.

The primary business expense with desktop systems is
that the initial training costs are around $2,500 per
seat (1999 figures from HCI studies).

The thing that makes Widows valuable is that it has a
common look and feel -- so the time you spent learning
to run one control panel applet is immediately applicable
and transferrable over to the other control panel applets
and the training you spent learning Word transfers over
to Excel and other applications.

And this is why the training per seat is "only" $2,500.

Comparatively, UNIX is a real mess, even if every
application you use is a Motif application, and every
programmer religiously followed the Motif Style Guide,
there is still a lot of room for variance, where the
user experience for Windows is significantly more
controlled.

Even in the face of "desktop themes" (the worst idea, from
a support perspective, ever to make it into release, with
DHCP following a real close second), Windows is more usable
for the average user.

To top everything off... employers don't have to pay the
$2,500 per seat training fee, since any temporary worker
they hire from any agency will have some kind of Windows
training, if they are able to operate a computer at all.

Maybe it not "fair" that Windows has this advantage: but
there is an easy answer: enforce the Windows Style Guide,
and the use of particular windows managers (e.g. fvwm95,
as an obvious choice) and particular widget sets in new
UNIX programs.  Doing that would mean that all that
prepaid training would be immediately transferrable to
UNIX, as well.

> Do you actually have any proof that Windows is easier to
> use or easier on the eyes? I didn't think so.

It's certainly easier for the average user to use a new
and unfamiliar program the first time.  It's called a
shallow learning curve.  Whether you personally value
that or not, employers do, and employers pay the bills;
UNIX will _never_ make significant inroads into the office
desktop market until it addresses the training and learning
curve cost issues.

> Prevailing on the desktop? Most people don't have much
> choice. They didn't evaluate all the options and decide
> that Windows is best for them.

Actually, they did.  They just used the yardstick of cost.

> Application availability? How many spreadsheets do I need?

Only one: the one your temp agency person knows how to run.

> How many of the large number of Windows apps actually
> differ from each other in significant ways?

That's a benefit, not a negative.  It means zero training
costs.

> How much time is wasted because you must reboot constantly
> when you're installing or removing a Windows app?

That's what IT people are for, and you only need one or
two of them.  You can get by on one part time person, if
you agree to standardize everything for all your employees
so that the IT person doesn't have to deal with oddball
configurations.

> It makes evaluating apps a real chore.

That's what IT people are for: to have evaluated these
things on their last jobs, so you can just pay them to
tell you the answers they know.  You are paying for what
is stored between their ears.

And Windows is getting better, slowly.  Microsoft wrote
the RFC on IPv4 stateless autoconfiguration.  It's almost
to the peoint where you can plug your network together and
have everything "just work"; SLPv2 will take care of that,
and if the Microsoft "standard" wins, then UPnP will do it
instead.  The progress just seems glacial when compared to
having the source code available for hacking to fix something
you find annoying, but which no one else could care less
about.

-- Terry