Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:52:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bringing the printer to life

Richard E. Hawkins <dochawk@psu.edu> types:
> It's a plain old run of the mill hp 4p on the parallel port.  It
> was working yesterday with linux.
>
> Actually, I'm wondering if the handbook is out of sync.

Seems likely.

> I've remade the device (which seemed unnecessary), and I've tried
> lptctl (which I've never needed to use in past installs.
>
> The manual says to
>
> >1.Type:
>
> >          # lptcontrol -i -u N
>
> >      to set interrupt-driven mode for lptN.
>
> but I get:
>
> fac13ttyp3:/dev>lptcontrol -i -u 0
> lptcontrol: illegal option -- u
> usage: lptcontrol -i | -p | -s | -e [-d device]
>
> Is there a more recent manual, or am I missing hte obvious again?

Well, "man lptcontrol" should provide the documentation on lptcontrol
you want. Given what I have, you need to do "lptcontrol -i -d /dev/lpt0".

Seems that lptcontrol had to learn about printers on devices other
than lpt. Could you submit a PR on this one? Especially if you try the
above, and it works.

	Thanx,
	<mike