Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:59:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <nkinkade@sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: handling .exe self-extracting archives (Was: vmware)

Nathan Kinkade said:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:08:12AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
>> Nathan Kinkade said:
>>>
>>> By the way, does anyone know of a reasonable way to get at the
>>> contents of *.exe self-extracting archives.  This problem was
>>> what led me to fiddle with vmware in the first place.
>>>

>> unzip from ports works well.  There's also a pkzip port that
>> will probably do the job
>>

> Doug,
> I tried unzip, but it didn't work.  Kept compaining that it wasn't
> a valid archive.  I know it was a good archive because I later
> extracted the very same one with vmware2/Win2k.  I found all
> sorts of info about creating SFX archives and about `unzipsfx',
> but nothing that worked for a regular .exe self-extracting
> archive. I've had people tell me that unzip may work sometimes,
> but under what conditions I'm not sure.
>
> I saw the pkzip port, but I couldn't find info anywhere telling me
> that it would extract .exe formated self-extracting archives.
> Have you used either of these tools recently to extract these
> types of pernicious archives?

Nathan,

Just tested unzip on a particular .exe archive and it works.  I
think the problem may be with .exe archives that are not following
the .zip specification.  For example, I think most of Microsoft's
installs (self-extracting .exe files) are not .zip compliant.  I was
testing various Microsoft downloads I have and am seeing the message

host% unzip -l vs6sp5.exe
Archive:  vs6sp5.exe
 End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is
 not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.
 In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be
 found on the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of vs6sp5.exe or
        vs6sp5.exe.zip, and cannot find vs6sp5.exe.ZIP, period.

So, in the case of these pernicious archives, unzip clearly won't
work.  I have access to Microsoft machines so I never had to pursue
a FreeBSD solution.  Sorry.

--
Regards,
Doug