Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:06:11 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn and/or portsnap

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 10:37:03 +0000 (UTC), Helmut Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a custom kernel so I (guess I) need svn in future to fetch
> sources instead of cvsup. Should I still use portsnap then for ports or
> also fetch them via svn?

Ports and system sources are managed independently. You can
use whatever tool you want. Note that portsnap _might_ not
deliver the most current ports tree for a given point in
time. For "short time deltas", CVS has often proven to be
the better tool, but of course portsnap has significant
advantages (e. g. faster for longer pauses between ports
tree updates, better integration with "make update" target).
Depending on your updating habits, choose the tool that
works best for you.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany