Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:45:36 -0500
From:      Sergei Akhmatdinov <sakhmatd@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to capture console messages during boot?

--Sig_/eDbYN8cV3fPFgg2ykOj8woo

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:59:01 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to build a graphical workstation using:
> [snip]
> As I add software and adjust configuration settings, invariably I create=
=20
> or encounter issues.  Some of these generate warnings/ errors on the=20
> console when the system boots.  I'd like to capture console messages=20
> during boot, so that I can review them and fix things.

Assuming I understand the question correctly, you can:
1. Press ScrLk during boot and scroll up-down.
2. Use `dmesg -a`, maybe piped into `less` if you prefer.
   The -a switch should show you the boot process messages, which are norma=
lly
   suppressed.
3. Check /var/log/

Cheers,
--=20
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99