Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:43:12 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug reporting integrated into the ports tree

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 02:34:09PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz> types:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:58:59AM -0800, Marcus Reid wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > A letter from Seth LaForge <sethml@ofb.net> seen at
> > > http://lwn.net/2001/1115/letters.php3 got me thinking.. Wouldn't
> > > a little bug-reporting facility integrated into the ports tree
> > > be extremely useful?
> >
> > That's what send-pr(1) is for.
>
> Except send-pr isn't the right tool use for reporting bugs with
> ports. They should go to the port maintainer. In the cases where
> that's ports@freebsd.org, send-pr works. Otherwise, it's wrong.

Well, I'm of the opinion that it should go into the generic bug database.
In most cases, the ports-people then reassigns it to the maintainer.
In some cases, they find out that the port-maintainer has disappeared,
and can reassign or find a a new maintainer.

It's also easier to track bug-reports in a central location for everyone
that's interested, rather than have the maintainer answer tons of small
email.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>