Date:      27 Sep 2002 11:28:32 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup

"Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i just upgraded from 4.6 to 4.62 the other day because i could not do a
> pkg_add -r cvsup. I thought that might fix the problem, but it didn't.. is
> there a reason why every time i try to use pkg_install -r that it cannot
> find the package? i was looking for cvsup in the system ports but failed to
> find it... can someone point that out to me? thanks...

When you report a problem, please explain in detail what you are trying
to do in general, what you are doing in detail, and the symptoms of your
problem (eg, error messages, verbatim or at least summarized).  A bit
about your environment might help too.  So we don't have to guess or
provide multiple answers for you to pick from.

I don't even have a "pkg_install", so I can't help with that.

If you have the set of packages on your hard disk or cdrom use something
like this:
    mount /cdrom
    ls -l /cdrom/packages/All/*cvsup*
    pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/cvsup-16.1f.tgz

IF (and, of course, only if) your Internet connection is OK and
the remote package server is running, I would guess from the
examples in the handbook, that your "pkg_add -r cvsup" should
work.  But you might have to find a different server and use
something like this (from the pkg_add manual):
    PACKAGEROOT=ftp://ftp3.FreeBSD.org pkg_add -r cvsup
or you might have to locate the package file using ftp or web browers
and then use something like this:
    cvsup ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/All/cvsup-16.1f.tgz