Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 22:39:40 -0500
From:      rjb@intac.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Still can't get network card to work under FreeBSD 2.0...

Trying to get my 3com 3c503 card to work under FreeBSD 2.0 has been a very
frustrating experience, to say the least. I've gone over the jumper
settings on the card making sure they match the entry in my kernel config
file for the 'ed0' driver. It's at base I/0 0x280, memory location 0xd8000.
I discovered that the factory setting for the interrupt on the card is 3
not 5 so, as a result, changed this in my kernel config to match. During
bootup I see that the driver does attach itself to the board with no other
complaints about any interrupt conflicts. All goes well until just before I
get the login prompt. I get a message from the kernel:

        Kernel: 'ed0' device time out

If I try to ping another machine on the network I'll get this message a
couple of times before it tells me that 'host ed0 is down' or something to
that effect.

There's a couple of areas in question that I'm thinking could be causing
this. The interrupt vector for the card. Does the ed0 driver have to use
interrupt 5? If it's changed in the kernel config does the compiled code
for the kernel get to know about this change?

Second, I'm really, really not sure about the ifconfig entry in my
/etc/netstart file. I added the ifconfig entry just after the line that
sets the local host. It's the only thing that was added to the original.
The entry that I entered was:

        ifconfig ed0 inet myhostaddress -link0

MyHostAddress is 97.3.5.124 and -link0 supposedly tells the driver to use
the AUI interface. I'm totally baffled with this and, having spent almost a
week with it, ready to give up. If this is as baffling to everyone else, is
there an adapter card that someone could recommend that works without
having to go through this torture?

Thanks
Bob Badaracco :-)