Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:41:10 -0700
From:      Saint Aardvark the Carpeted <aardvark@saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com>
To:        Jason Dusek <jason-dusek@uiowa.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Mount Optical Drive

Jason Dusek disturbed my sleep to write:
>  5 # mount /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>  mount: /dev/acd0: Input/output error

You may want to try:

	mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

or its equivalent:

	mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

Also, if you're trying to mount a DVD instead of a CD, you may need to
try:

	mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom

> I have some another disk mounting question, too. Sometimes when I try to
> mount the CD drive I get an error that goes something like:
>
>  Incorrect super block
>
> What does this error mean? What does it mean in reference to a hard
> drive? What does it mean in reference to a CD drive?

The superblock is a chunk of disk that has housekeeping information
like the amount of free space, where to find free inodes, and so on.

The error can mean pretty much the same things no matter what the
medium.  It might mean that you've specified the wrong filesystem --
"mount" (which defaults to FreeBSD's UFS filesystem) instead of "mount
-t cd9660", say.  It might also mean that the the filesystem hasn't been
formatted yet, or (if a CD) that you've burned a coaster.  Or, it might
mean that you are about to be very grateful for your carefully-followed
backup plan. :-)

--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted
aardvark@saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com