Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 20:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        inTEXT Communications <glenn@intextonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd PPP -dialin

On Sun, 10 May 1998, inTEXT Communications wrote:

> Doug..I already  have the modem in auto answer mode now.
> ATS0=1&w
> AT&W0
> AT&W1
> AT&W2
>
> So..ATZ pretty much returns it to auto
>
> I had nothing but trouble compiling mgetty..
> I kept getting an error 1.

Did you try the port?  If the port is broken contact ports@freebsd.org or
the port maintainer.

> Now..I did get the precompi8led version of mgetty that comes with the
> freebsd in the packages.

OK.

> I did try to enable that in the  ttys file.

OK, looking at your example there is a problem:

> #ttyd1 /usr/local/sbin/mgetty -s 19200 dialup on <============NOTE

Apart from it being commented out :), you need to "quote" the command
line.  I bet that init is trying to run it incorrectly, ie omitting the
speed parameter.  It should look like:

ttyd1	"/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -s 19200" 	dialup 	on

If something is going wrong here then you will get system log messages to
the effect of ``getty on ttydX is cycling to quickly -- sleeping 30
secs''.