Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 16:07:18 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IPv6: can a link-site (or global) address be configured in rc.conf?

Hello,

Now that I have several machines running FreeBSD 4.0, I started to
play with IPv6. It's fun! I have plans to set up a v6-over-v4 tunnel
and connect to the 6Bone.

I read /usr/share/examples/IPv6/USAGE, /usr/share/doc/IPv6/IMPLEMENTATION
and some documents at the KAME web site.  However, I still have to figure out
how to assign a not-link-local address (i.e., a site or global address) to
the [unique] Ethernet interface of each host in an automatic manner (from
/etc/rc.conf).  After reading /etc/rc.network6 I concluded that no addresses
apart from the link-local ones are assigned to the interfaces.  I am using
ifconfig manually to do this (BTW, I found that there is no need to specify
"alias").  I am new to IPv6, so maybe I am asking for something with no
sense...

My congratulations to the IPv6 team. Great job!

TIA,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071