Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:04:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@synx.com>
To:        Joachim.Strombergson@emw.ericsson.se
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good SMP Motherboards

On  4 Nov, Joachim Strombergson wrote:
> Tja!
>
> On 03-Nov-99 Bruce Albrecht wrote:
>>  I'm looking for a good SMP motherboard for $150 or less.  Any
>>  recommendations?  If I want also onboard SCSI, what's a good, cheap MB
>>  run?
>
> I don't know how much they cost in the US, but when I bought my ABIT BP6
> in June/July this summer I paid approx 160 USD for it. The board is a
> PPGA370 board for Celerons. I use two Celery 366:s on it and get a rock
> stable system @ 467MHz. I really like the extensive settings of the BIOS
> that includes temp watch, individual voltage control and fan control.
>
> I haven't done any comparison with other systems,  I just appreciate how
> much faster it is compared to my old, P133 system. :-)
>
> BTW: Has aybody done any FreeBSD-SMP system rating? What would be good
> benchmarks?

Here is some using the rc5des client software (latest version) :

Abit BP6 2x466 Celerons, -CURRENT : 2.60 Mkey/s  ( 100$/proc)
C440GX+ 2xPIII Xeon 500, -STABLE  : 2.73 MKey/s  (10000$/proc)
L440GX+ 2xPIII 500     , -CURRENT : 2.82 Mkey/s  ( 260$/proc)

No overclocking. The C and L 440 are pure Intel boxed rack servers
(SC440 and LB440GX). All Mobos uses ECC-SDRAM, no EDO.

Remarks:

- We would have expected the Xeon machine to perform better than the
PIII standard processor. In this matter, rc5des and dry say : No real
difference.
- CURRENT implements a kind of processor affinity that seems helpfull.
- I can't upgrade the Xeon machine to CURRENT since it's a production
machine but I hope to see improvements as soon as it will be. (Jordan,
fork, fork !! ;) ).
- Linear interpolation for a Celeron 500 would lead to 2.80 Mkey/s which
is nearly what gave the PIII. If this is exact, the performance/price
ratio is outstanding.
- This is a pure core test. Do not expect same ratio on dayly
operations.
- David Malone have a really interesting graph that shows impact of
cache size and RAM speed over a core-intensive process. It can be found
at : http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/comp/perf.ps and shows the L1,
L2 and RAM speed and size steps.

Speculation:

Intel build the same core every time. If the cache runs full speed, it's
a Xeon. If only half of the cache runs at full speed, it's a PIII, if a
quarter of the cache runs at full speed it's a celeron. If the cache
runs at half speed, it's a PII. If nothing works, back to the fundry.

Probably exagerated, but it's the basic idea.

RN.
IeM