Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:35:50 -0800
From:      "Scott R." <fluid@sfmidimafia.com>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: playing mp3s and burning a cd

The Anarcat wrote:
> I'm running 5.0-release, so I'm not sure this is the proper forum, but
> I'm trying my luck anyways.
>
> I used to listen to MP3s (using xmms) while burning CDs (using
> cdrecord) and it used to work fine on -stable.
>
> Now on 5.0-release, the music gets *sloooow* as soon as the massive IO
> gets on. I presume it's related to the interrupt problems the current
> branch is generally having.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Should I upgrade to -current?

Yes, I'm seeing this as well.  More specifically, whenever there is
heavy disk I/O, mp3 playback gets that slow, robotic quality you
describe.  It's really irritating.  It doesn't seem to be as bad in
current as it was in 5.0-RELEASE, but it's still a bit of a nuissance.

I'm running current from March 7.

-Scott