Date:      07 Nov 2003 21:31:29 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sftp mount?

Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:56:43PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > * Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net> [20031107 17:28]: wrote:
> > > At my university everything is firewalled and the only way I can
> > > transfer files to/from my account is to use sftp -- but that gets quite
> > > painful after a while.
> >
> > What do you mean by quite painful? sftp should be very easy to use
>
> Yeah, it is fairly easy to use but it's still annoying to be doing it.
> In reality what I want is to edit the remote files directly.  I don't
> want to be copying back/forth.  It can't really be automated either,
> since I'm not doing the same task over and over.

rdist (or something like it) would automate the whole copy process
pretty well, though.

> > Basically you have to ask the folks administering your systems if they
> > allow NFS and I doubt it already.
>
> No, they don't.  Pretty much the only thing allowed is ssh/sftp.

If port forwarding is available/allowed, you could forward NFS through
ssh.  Might be a little painful unless the connection is fast and
dependable, though.

> > > Or can anybody suggest any other way I might achieve something similar?
> > > Bear in mind I am actually restricted to sftp/ssh.
> >
> > Forget your ideas. Tell us what it is that you want to be doing.
>
> I want my remote home directory (available just by ssh) to be
> transparently available from a local directory :P

Copying a whole directory tree is pretty easy, especially with tool
support, it's transparent while you're doing the editing, and you get
full speed while you're editing.  That would be my recommendation.