Date:               Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:59:45 CST
From:      "Walter Huff" <WHUFF@uwohali.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Problems with QIC-80 tape

Howdy y'all... been lurking for a couple of days, thought it was time
to kick in a question.

Have a pretty generic 486 box running 2.0R, 8MB memory, 100MB IDE
drive (yeah, it's small, but the machine isn't used for much more
than bootp, outgoing mail, and DNS).  I had a spare Colorado Jumbo
250 I hung off the floppy cable in place of drive B to use for
backups.  Well, the darn thing just won't work.  The kernel sees it
cause I get this during bootup:

>Apr 18 10:49:15 gateway kernel: fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
>Apr 18 10:49:15 gateway kernel: fdc0: [0: fd0: 1.2MB 5.25in] [2: ft0: Colorado tape]

but when I try to use it via tar I get this:

>gateway# tar cvzf - /usr | ft "Dump of /usr"
>tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.
>usr/
>usr/tmp/
>usr/bin/
>usr/bin/cu
>/dev/rft0: Input/output error
>usr/bin/uucp
>gateway#

Sometimes the tape moves right before I get the I/O error, sometimes
not.  I've had the entire thing hang up, with nothing killing the
"ft" process... not even a "kill -9".  Had to re-boot, and even then
it complained that the process wouldn't die before it restarted.

On other occasions, usually when the tape did move, I also get a
message on the console that says "kernel: no pages????".  In those
cases the ft process is definately hung.

I've tried this using a number of different tapes all of which had
been recently formatted, so I don't think it's due to a bad block or
some such nonsense.

Any hints/suggestions/retorts?

- Walter Huff