Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:52:57 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        RA Cohen <roy2098@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba 2.2.8 vs 2.2.8a on 4.8 Release

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:24:51AM -0700, RA Cohen wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> In the process of debugging my SAMBA installation, I discovered
> I've compiled SAMBA v 2.2.8a on my 4.8 RELEASE box. The 2.2.8a
> is listed in the ports collection as being for 4.8 STABLE,=20
> while 2.2.8 is for RELEASE. Should I uninstall and make the
> 2.2.8 or just leave things as they are?
>=20
> [I know I should upgrade to STABLE but that has to wait a bit]

The ports collection and the base system aren't that closely tied.
Ports getupdated as and when their authors release new versions and
their maintainers update the port to include that new code.  The
RELENG_x_y tags in the ports CVS tree just mark the state of the tree
at the time the release was made -- hence, they show exactly what
versions of ported or packaged code went onto disks 3 and 4 or the
release set.  To reiterate: the RELENG_x_y tags don't indicate the
version that you *should* run on a particular release, just the
version that was *available* at the time the release was made.  If an
update to the port has become available since the OS release, then you
can certainly upgrade to it, and in many cases you clearly should
upgrade as it may fix security or other bugs.

Ports are intended to compile and work on any supported version of the
OS (at the moment 4.7-RELEASE, 4.8-RELEASE, 4.8-STABLE, 5.1-RELEASE,
5-CURRENT, although a few ports won't work on all those versions for
various reasons) Ports will quite often compile/work on just about any
version of the OS.

Similarly the packages built from ports should work on any version
with a compatible set of shared libraries, although all things being
equal, the packages tend to work best on the suported OS versions.
Hence packages built for 4-STABLE should work on any 4.x version since
about 4.4-RELEASE, and packages built for recent 5.x should work on
any 5-CURRENT or 5.x-RELEASE -- 5-CURRENT is a far more elusive target
than 4.x at the moment, due to some fairly large scale ongoing work,
and portability isn't necessarily up to the usual high standard.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way