Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing -pthreads (Re: ports and -current)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Dan Naumov wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 00:42, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > We've already been over this before.  The problem is not
> > as bad as you think, and there are other platforms that
> > don't have -pthread.
>
> And those platforms would be?

Solaris for one:

  bash-2.05$ uname -a
  SunOS pcnet5 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
  bash-2.05$ type cc
  cc is hashed (/usr/ucb/cc)
  bash-2.05$ type gcc
  gcc is hashed (/usr/local/bin/gcc)
  bash-2.05$ cc -pthread
  cc: unrecognized option `-pthread'
  cc: No input files
  bash-2.05$ gcc -pthread
  gcc: unrecognized option `-pthread'
  gcc: No input files

gcc does have -pthreads and -threads for Solaris, but these are
basically NOOPs (just what we are doing).  They define
-D_REENTRANT -D_PTHREADS for -pthreads and -D_REENTRANT
and -D_SOLARIS_THREADS for -threads.  These do not specify
any libraries to link, just predefines.  FreeBSD doesn't
have anything to predefine, so it is a true NOOP.

--
Dan Eischen