Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:31:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.nws.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

> At 06:46 AM 2/8/99 -0500, Bill Pechter wrote:
>
> >The GPL will fail to spread only when more people realize it will hurt
> >their freedom and bottom line (personal and corporate).
>
> Good point, Bill. But at what point will they realize it? By the time a
> significant number of people learned the full story about Microsoft,
> the horse was long out of the barn and the barn had burned nearly to the
> ground. A whole lot of people had been hurt. Must recognition come
> only after the phenomenon has run away? Is there a way to sound the
> alarm sooner? Or is it a lost cause?
>
> --Brett

Probably a lost cause.

Probably when all the research stuff done in the last few years
ends up GPL'd and the non-Univ. R&D stuff goes non-OSS... someone's
going to re-invent Public Domain and the Berkeley Copyright over again...

I was a History major once -- eventually the pendulum swings back...

Remember when IBM ruled the computer world.
Remember when DEC was the timesharing leader... and a major player (<sniff>).
Remember when Digital Research began and the early business basic
Remember when the 68k was the hot microprocessor for use on Unix
business machines.

IBM and Motorola may be alive but they're not the dominant figures
they were... but they may be again.

DEC's gone as anything but a memory. (As is their matrix management
way of doing business and their competing product lines.)

Digital Research is a name I see on monitors. (Someone buy this name?)

Ebasic became Cbasic (before Symantec began swallowing companies and
killing off products and everything they sold was Norton something
or other...  I remember when  Norton wasn't a brand, but a person. (or
a character on the Honeymooners).

Bill
---
  Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
  villain in a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org