Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:40:02 GMT
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/140979: [acpi] [panic] Kernel panic (fatal trap 12: page fault when in kernel mode) on FreeBSD 8.0 with ACPI because of "ec" sub-device

The following reply was made to PR kern/140979; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To: Tarick <tungan@ukr.net>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/140979: [acpi] [panic] Kernel panic (fatal trap 12: page
 fault when in kernel mode) on FreeBSD 8.0 with ACPI because of "ec" sub-device
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:39:02 +0200

 on 01/12/2009 21:39 Tarick said the following:
 > Sure, as I understand this means booting with debug.acpi.disabled="ec"
 > line in /boot/loader.conf. I use this setting constantly right now.
 > But I recompiled kernel recently, and the instruction pointer address
 > changed to 0xffffffff801bfe20. Here is result with this address, I hope
 > this will help:
 [snip]
 > (kgdb) info line *0xffffffff801bfe20
 > Line 538 of "/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/executer/exmutex.c"
 >    starts at address 0xffffffff801bfe20 <AcpiExReleaseMutex+544> and
 > ends at 0xffffffff801bfe25 <AcpiExReleaseMutex+549>.

 So this points us to AcpiExReleaseMutex.
 One possible control flow chain is AcpiExReleaseMutex <- AcpiReleaseGlobalLock
 <- EcUnlock.  But it's still not clear what could be wrong.

 Would it be possible to recompile your kernel with the following options,
 reproduce the panic and report full panic message?

 makeoptions	DEBUG="-O -g"
 options 	DDB
 options 	DDB_NUMSYM
 options 	KDB
 options 	KDB_TRACE

 This should enable printing of stack trace on panic.
 Thanks!

 --
 Andriy Gapon