Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACLs 0.1 for FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

(To freebsd-security@freebsd.org, but Bcc'd to posix1e@cyrus.watson.org)

Due to interest on freebsd-security and a number of personal emails to me,
I've decided I'd go ahead and put online my current work on ACLs for
FreeBSD. It is available for download at

  http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/posix1e/acl/

Currently I don't have support in the underlying file system (a common
complaint these days :-), but much of the rest of the code is there, in a
hopefully POSIX.1e compliant form.  It's available under a 2-clause
BSD-style license, so should be incorporatable in open-source and
commercial software, and may be useful beyond the BSD arena.  It is a 0.1
release, meaning that there are chunks missing (setfacl implementation,
the fine-grained ACL manipulation library routines, man pages), but a lot
is also there.  We hope to get something resembling this into 4.0-CURRENT
of FreeBSD before the code freeze, even if the underlying file systems
don't support it, so that it would be easier for people to add support for
it with a firm and well-distributed API.  Feel free to download, inspect,
and complain.  Feel free also to submit code fixes, new features, and make
constructive suggestions :-).

  Robert N M Watson