Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 01:46:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: root has no access to csh but user does?

> I've been attempting to convert from Linux to FreeBSD for a few month now.
> Just when I was completly ready to switch I hosed my sys.
>
> When I log in as root, It accepts the playword. gives me the login message
> and informs me that I have mail and logout puting me back to the login
> prompt. I was able to login as a normal user, but I never gave the user su
> rights!!
>
> Is there a easy way to go about fixing this without doing a new install!

Boot into single user mode and make sure that root has a valid shell, you
might want to add a normal user to the wheel group while you're at it :).
You can boot into single user mode by stopping the normal boot process when
you're given the option and typing "boot -s" (FreeBSD 3.2) or by typing
"-s" at the boot: prompt (prior to 3.2).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083