Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 12:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why can't I cd to certain directories???

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Mark A. Hummel wrote:

>Sometimes when I try to cd to a directory like /usr/local/... I get an
>error message reading: Can't cd to ...
>I then try to cd one level down at a time.  #cd /usr  then pwd to find
>out I actually made the trip.  Then cd /local  Sorry, can't cd to
>/usr/local.  Why when I'm logged in as a su?

You have to be very careful about where you put those slashes.

'/' is the root directory. It is at the very top. Any directory that you
refer to in any command that has '/' as the first character will be
relative to root.

cd /usr will work.
cd /usr/local will work.
cd /local will NOT work because local exist in /usr but not in /.

OBTW, don't use the root user unless you absolutely need it. Also, you
don't log in as su. You login as root. Or you use the 'su' command to
become root.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells