Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:57:07 +0000
From:      Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater@gldis.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will this work?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 04:06:30PM -0600, Richard Wenninger wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 March 2002 01:51 pm, you wrote:
> > I recently came across a boxed copy of FreeBSD 4.2 on the "clearance table"
> > at a local office supply store. My old PC is a 90MHz Pentium with 24 MB RAM
> > and a 503 MB hard drive. I bought the box (it was only $17) - would
> > converting my old PC to a UNIX-only machine as a hobby be a practical idea?
>
> My FreeBSD server at home is running on a 486/66mhz machine with 40mb of RAM.
>
> Runs great!
>
> Buildworld is a little slow...   :-)
> (like 24hrs slow)

It takes a couple days on my 486/66mhz w/8MB of ram.

Definately not a "go get a cup of coffee" compile, more like "go for a trip to
the tropics and hope for the best".

Doing the buildworld on a faster machine and NFS mounting /usr/obj and /usr/src
then doing installworld is a Good Thing(tm).

PS. Next time that I'm at my parents, I think I'll do a time make buildworld
just to satisfy my sadistic nature.
--
Jeremy Faulkner			http://www.gldis.ca