Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:17:53 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bryan Albright <bryana@darth-vader.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade question?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:49:49 -0600, Bryan Albright wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> When upgrading from 8.4 to 9.3,in preparation to go from 9.3 to 10.2,
> does it make sense to do a full port upgrade, after checking
> /usr/ports/UPDATING (of course?)
>
> Something like a
> % portupgrade -a
>
> Between the update to 9.3 and the update to 10.2?  Or can I "get away
> with" a update from 8.4 to 9.3, then update 9.3 to 10.2, then doa
> portupgrade -a?

It's recommended to upgrade installed ports, but not needed
when you install the "compat" ports or packages, for example,
compat9x-i386-9.3.<bla> on 10.2. But keep in mind that running
software from a different major version often leads to problems,
especially when you try to update them (and when conflicts with
system-provided libraries arise).

> (and I'm open to a "better" method of upgrading ports - I've just been
> using a script to do the portupgrade since 2.2)

See "man portmaster"'s EXAMPLES section. But it's also possible
(and easy!) to make a list of your "top ports" (the things you
intendedly want to use, with _not_ listing their dependencies),
and feed that list to "pkg install". So your installed software
will be up to date.

Remember to make copies of your configuration files for later
re-instantiation (/usr/local/etc and so on).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany