Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:40:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp server on ftp.cdrom.com

> Name (ftp.cdrom.com:steve): anonymous
> 530-Sorry, the current limit of 2750 users has been reached.
> 530-Please try again in a few minutes.
>
> DG-2.0.7, whose ftp server is that?  A David Greenman special? :)

Indeed.  And before anyone asks, no, he's not giving away the sources.
This isn't because they're secret and he's holding out for the Big
Bucks or anything like that, it's simply that he doesn't like to
release stuff which isn't ready for general consumption, and dg-ftpd
is currently a "wcarchive special" which really would need significant
documentation and packaging before anyone else could really figure out
how to use it.  He's also pretty busy now, so don't hold your
breath. :)

> I wanted to know how the limit on the number of anonymous users
> was set.  I was looking into PR #5109 and not wanting to re-invent

Pretty much empirically - the number is moved around until the machine
actually starts to swap and/or interactive performance suffers (and we
can have as many as 10-15 active archive maintainers toiling away on
there during the day who complain if the number of ftp or www sessions
[which number several hundred also]) to the point where they can't
work very well.

Right now we seem to be bottlenecked on CPU, having eliminated memory
starvation with our upgrade to 1GB.  At 2750 ftp users, 200-300 www
users and 10-20 interactive users (running the most godawfully large
perl mirror scripts), we're just out of steam with a single P6/233.

One thing we can get immediate relief on is moving the web server to
another box entirely, and that's the planned next step.

					Jordan