Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:48:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accessing serial ports crashing free-bsd

I just upgraded a machine to 3.2. The machine hung hard right
after probing for sio0, which it also detected as an 8250. Another
time, the machine just went into hyperspace somewhere during
probing or just after...started displaying all sorts of random
garbage on the screen (looked vaguely like catting an executable)
and then there was some sort of panic. (I do not recall exactly
what I did or did not disable during that boot.)

I noted a message just before the sio probe about its interrupt
not being in some map. I don't know if this is significant.

I got the machine to boot by disabling all unneeded devices.
Later, I built a custom kernel and the machine is now humming
along nicely taking in a couple of newsfeeds. I haven't tried
re-enabling the serial ports, as I don't need them for that
machine.