Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:59:26 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>, Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
Subject:   Re: UNIX Mail help

--96YOpH+ONegL0A3E

On Friday, 14 March 2003 at 23:00:53 -0700, Samuel Chow wrote:

>> From: "Joshua Lokken" <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
>>
>> [about DNS -- snip]
>> Ok, that makes sense.  Would an internal caching nameserver still
>> be a good idea?  I have a small site; 4 FreeBSD machines, one of
>> which is the gateway/router and one of which is the server, a test box
>> and a workstation, also a Sparcstation5/Solaris box.  My needs are to
>> host my domain only (httpd, mail, mp3).
>
>     Internal caching nameserver does not help with other
>     people looking for the MX record for your domain.  So, for
>     this purpose, no, it does not help.

I'd like to remind you people of the charter of this mailing list:

FREEBSD-NEWBIES

    Newbies activities discussion

    We cover any of the activities of newbies that are not already
    dealt with elsewhere, including: independent learning and problem
    solving techniques, finding and using resources and asking for
    help elsewhere, how to use mailing lists and which lists to use,
    general chat, making mistakes, boasting, sharing ideas, stories,
    moral (but not technical) support, and taking an active part in
    the FreeBSD community. We take our problems and support questions
    to freebsd-questions, and use freebsd-newbies to meet others who
    are doing the same things that we do as newbies.

Most people on this list are newbies, so it's not a good place to ask
technical questions.  This shouldn't be construed as criticism of
Samuel's reply.

Greg

--96YOpH+ONegL0A3E

--96YOpH+ONegL0A3E--