Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:43:48 -0500
From:      "Chris Simpson" <csimpson@telocity.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installation issue...

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C244F8.A8031E30

Hello!  New guy on the list here...

At home I'm installing FreeBSD on my desktop (a Dell Dimension XPS T500) =
via CDROM. It's got a 500MHz processor, 6GB hard drive, 384 MB RAM, an =
Diamond Viper V770 video card with 16MB RAM, a Sound Blaster Live Value =
sound card, and a Netgear FA310 NIC....=20

ANYWAY, I get to the point where it actually installs the packages, and =
then it seems to lock up when it's installing cvsupit-3.1. There's no =
error message, just this:=20

ADDING PACKAGE/ALL/cvsupit-3.1.tgz From acd0c=20

Package cvsupit-3.1 read successfully - waiting for pkg_add(1)=20

That sounds like it would be a normal message, but in 2 attempts at =
install, I've gotten the same thing. Is that a NIC problem? Is it trying =
to go to the internet to do something, or is it just maybe a bad CD =
burn?Now, at hardware discovery it didn't find the exact module for my =
NIC, but I didn't see anywhere in the handbook where it said you had to =
have that driver done right then. So, I let it go...It let me put in my =
IP information without any problems later, so I thought it would be =
working fine. One thing that I noticed was a little strange was that =
when setting up the NIC, it asked me for my local DNS server, and I =
don't have one of those, so I gave it 198.6.1.5 (a UU Net server, if I'm =
not mistaken) as a DNS server. Could that cause the problem? I'm totally =
new to *BSD and a pretty big newbie to *nix in general, so any help =
would be appreciated!

Thanks,=20

Chris

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C244F8.A8031E30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello!&nbsp; New guy on the list=20
here...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>At home I'm installing FreeBSD on my desktop (a Dell Dimension XPS =
T500)=20
via CDROM. It's got a 500MHz processor, 6GB hard drive, 384 MB RAM, an =
Diamond=20
Viper V770 video card with 16MB RAM, a Sound Blaster Live Value sound =
card, and=20
a Netgear FA310 NIC.... <BR><BR>ANYWAY, I get to the point where it =
actually=20
installs the packages, and then it seems to lock up when it's installing =

cvsupit-3.1. There's no error message, just this: <BR><BR>ADDING=20
PACKAGE/ALL/cvsupit-3.1.tgz From acd0c <BR><BR>Package cvsupit-3.1 read=20
successfully - waiting for pkg_add(1) <BR><BR><BR>That sounds like it =
would be a=20
normal message, but in 2 attempts at install, I've gotten the same =
thing. Is=20
that a NIC problem? Is it trying to go to the internet to do something, =
or is it=20
just maybe a bad CD burn?Now, at hardware discovery it didn't find the =
exact=20
module for my NIC, but I didn't see anywhere in the handbook where it =
said you=20
had to have that driver done right then. So, I let it go...It let me put =
in my=20
IP information without any problems later, so I thought it would be =
working=20
fine. One thing that I noticed was a little strange was that when =
setting up the=20
NIC, it asked me for my local DNS server, and I don't have one of those, =
so I=20
gave it 198.6.1.5 (a UU Net server, if I'm not mistaken) as a DNS =
server. Could=20
that cause the problem? I'm totally new to *BSD and a pretty big newbie =
to *nix=20
in general, so any help would be appreciated!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks, =
<BR><BR>Chris</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C244F8.A8031E30--