Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: fsck strangeness

Sorry for the repeat post folks, but I goofed last time, leaving out the
subject line while replying to the digest.  Still curious .. Ian
=======

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:32:28 +0200 Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
 > On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 08:21:42PM +0100, Christopher Key wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I'm having some rather strange behaviour with fsck.
 > >
 > > When I boot the system, it asserts that all the file systems are clean, but
 > > subsequently running an fsck on /dev/ad8s1e (mounted as /var) detects
 > > errors.  Even if this first check is run whilst the file system is mounted,
 > > and is hence run in NO WRITE mode, a second check doesn't find block
 > > errors.  If I then unmount the file system and check the disk, it's fine,
 > > as indeed it is if I unmount, remount, then check.  However, if I then
 > > reboot, the process repeats, and an fsck immediately after reboot will find
 > > errors again.  If I bring the system up in single user mode, and run fsck
 > > either before or after mounting /var, it finds no errors.
 > >
 > > I'm running 6.2_RELEASE with a custom kernel based upon generic-smp, but
 > > with a lot of unecessary bits removed, and geom_mirror compiled in.  I
 > > don't think it's the drive that's at fault, all the other partitions in the
 > > slice are fine, it's a fairly new drive, and it passes a self test quite
 > > happily.  Included below is a transcript that attempt to show what's going
 > > on in detail, is there anything else relevant?
 > >
 > > Can anyone suggest what might be going on and how to fix it, or suggest
 > > some slightly better diagnostics?  Apologies if this is an RTFM issue, I
 > > have had a good dig through the handbook, but can't seem to find anything
 > > that helps.

 > Running fsck on a file system that has been mounted read/write will almost
 > always report spurious errors and can really screw up the disk if it tries
 > to 'correct' those errors.

I'm a bit confused by this.  I've been running 'fsck -n' over FreeBSD
systems since 2.2.6, and modulo seeing the at-the-time inconsistencies
on those filesystems in /etc/fstab that are mounted, as Chris reported
and as are expected, I've never had a problem with it, nor seen the sort
of inconsistent results between runs that Chris is reporting.

 > You should normally not run fsck on a mounted filesystem and you should
 > *NEVER* run fsck on a filesystem that has been mounted read/write.

This seems to imply that using the -n switch may have different results
than not using it and having fsck determine 'NO WRITE' itself from the
fact that it's noticed that the fs is mounted?  Are you suggesting by
"can really screw up the disk if it tries to 'correct' those errors"
that fsck might WRITE to a mounted fs that it's showing as 'NO WRITE'?

I've never had any screwups with it, but then I've always specified -n.

Later Bill Moran said:

 > Don't run fsck on mounted filesystems unless they're mounted read-only.
 >
 > Although, it's possible I misunderstood your description of the problem.

so I'm still curious, and am wondering if Chris using SMP kernel and/or
geom_mirror might have anything to do with this?  Or whether his use of
'umount -f' might be (or cause) the problem indicated by his results?

 > > # umount -f /var
 > >

 > > # mount /var

Cheers, Ian